Update: The video clip shows a church group performing a street play, not a real couple fighting
The video features in numerous online posts, including this one on Facebook by popular Nigerian online news blogging platform Instablog9ja.
“Drama as bride finds out that her groom has been sleeping with her chief bridesmaid on their wedding in PH, Rivers State,” reads the caption on the post that has racked up more than 1,600 shares since February 13, 2021.
PH refers to Port-Harcourt, the capital city of Rivers state in southern Nigeria.
Popular Nigerian entertainer Tunde Ednut, whose posts have previously been debunked by AFP Fact Check here and here, also published the footage on Instagram claiming the bride “stopped the car on the road and ended the wedding right there”.
However, the claims are false.
The footage was a publicity stunt called “Romeo and Juliet”, performed by a church group to raise awareness about their annual Valentine’s Day programme.
Romeo and Juliet
The page is run by a branch of Gateway International Church (GIC) located in Choba, a university area in Port-Harcourt. GIC is one of the most popular Pentecostal churches in Rivers state with a large youth congregation.
The GIC video features the same people seen in the viral footage, including the supposed bride and groom.
“Romeo and Juliet rally/offline publicity was a blast, exceptional creativity!” reads the caption on the Facebook post published by the church on February 12, 2021.
At the 1’ 15” mark, the crowd in the video clip can be seen dancing to a song while the hype man says “Romeo and Juliet”.
Please we are sorry about any inconvenience that was caused.
Church stages annual drama
The GIC in Choba confirmed its drama group had staged the street production.
“‘Romeo and Juliet’ is an annual event in the church usually held around the Valentine season,” the church’s pastor Chidi Courage told AFP Fact Check. “The drama was staged to create awareness on the year’s theme ‘Soulmates and Bedmates’.”
Contacted by AFP Fact Check, a member of the church’s drama group explained that “Romeo and Juliet” has been performed for the past five years. For the 2021 edition, they acted out scenes of a dysfunctional relationship in public to highlight the consequences of infidelity.
“It is not real,” Ella Agbo, the church’s drama coordinator told AFP Fact Check, explaining that the group had already clarified this on its Instagram page. “The viral video was an excerpt of the drama filmed by an onlooker and shared online with a misleading context.”
In one of their recent posts on Instagram, Agbo is seen alongside some of the actors on the social network dismissing the claim as false.
“It was actually a street drama acted out by these actors here to create awareness for our church’s Valentine programme,” she said on Instagram.
A lady refused to marry her man because while on their way to marry, she heard he has been sleeping with her bestie who was the chief bridesmaid.
A lady said she will not marry her groom again while they were driving to church because she heard her bridesmaid has been sleeping with him.
In a viral and hot video, the bride could be seen running mad and blasting her man together with the cheating bridesmaid while saying she won’t marry again.
Many people shared their opinion on the video as shared below:
- Some men and women no get shame no respect no fear of God no conscience no regard,what will it profit you one mint of come only come e no Dey even tey ,how dare you do this to a woman you want to marry,how dare you do this to your friend you’re really Doomed tufiaaa nu ajiiiii gbakwa nu 😡😡😡
- What kind of a friend is this😢😢God save us from green snakes called friends
- If u knw do, pls bck off immediately ooo, guy like that will continue knocking all ur friends even after wedding… hmmmnn
- OMG!! May we not know sorrow on our big day oooo!! This is deep… 😢😢😢😢😢
- What if you found out after the wedding what will you do:please Just go ahead and marry
- Wetin the girl and the guy do Dey very bad—- but if you lowkey Dey kpansh your friend partner and you still abuse any of them here— Thunder go fire you
- Are we going to deny the fact that HIS FRIENDS ARE ALL AWARE???? Especially that one screaming like world war 3!
- The bride knows her worth and didn’t go ahead with the wedding just for pity
Watch the video below: